Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Aaron Rodgers is a Cool Guy


Alright, so today's entry has nothing to do with the NFC South. Sorry for that, but still, I'd like to share the story of my weekend which includes meeting an NFL starting QB.

I spent the weekend in Washington D.C. as my wife and I were attending a wedding for some good friends. My wife was even a bridesmaid for the big event. The rehearsal dinner was on the roof of the Hay-Adams Hotel, and the reception was in the Capitol Hill Suites. Along with various members of Congress, the wedding had a fun cast of characters in attendance. To start with, there were several current UT players there (V.Richard, D.Williams, G.Williams, etc.) along with Coach Phil Fulmer and his family. Then, I noticed that I really recognized a dude that was there with one of the other bridesmaids. After staring him down for a while, I realized it was Aaron Rodgers, of the Green Bay Packers.
He was very approachable, and truly a cool guy. I told Aaron about the time that my friend (who played for UT) was asked to host a party and show this high school recruit around (trying to get him to sign with Tennessee). That recruit was Brian Brohm, also of the Green Bay Packers. He was the dorkiest football star I had ever met. He refused to have any sort of fun at all, and just acted miserable from the moment he got there. I told Aaron that story, and he just came right out with it...he said, "I love Matty Flynn." Flynn of course is the Packers' current #2 QB. Brohm is #3. Rodgers continued, "he's got a lot of talent and he's a cool guy...but Brohm is a big douche. He has zero personality, and it's just awkward to be around him."
Other highlights of my conversation with him were when he promised to put up "big numbers" this year for fantasy football, and when he made fun of Vince Young a little bit. I also thought it was interesting to learn that he met his girlfriend in Nashville when he was in town hanging out with Chad Clifton not too long ago.
I really wanted to ask him how it felt when Julius Peppers nailed him out of bounds last year, but I completely chickened out.

Still, the best part of the weekend was watching Coach Phil Fulmer tear it up on the dance floor, while firmly biting his bottom-lip. It was also pretty fun when I was able to teach Gerald Williams how a real man dances...sarcastically, of course.
It truly was an amazing weekend! I just hope Brian Brohm doesn't end up reading this. At least we know he won't have the stones to confront anyone about it, even if he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment