Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"The Xbox Kid"


New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has apparently written a screenplay. It's got everything most guys dig: sports, video games, and natural disasters. No word yet as to whether or not he plans to have Phoebe Cates climb out of a swimming pool. I'm just a strong believer that if he really wants to do this thing right, he should at least consider the idea.

The movie, currently titled “The Xbox Kid,” is about a boy from a poor family in New Orleans who starts controlling the outcome of NFL games through a refurbished Xbox given to him by his grandfather following a devastating hurricane.
“I just wrote about four pages, piddling around with it,” said Payton, who later turned the idea over to a professional screen writer to flesh it out. I wonder if they'll have a role for Johnny Drama.
Is it me, or does this sound like a dumb idea for a movie? If I could have real life mirror my Xbox games, then I'd be a rich dude. I won the Heisman four times and was drafted #1 overall after saving the draft class to Madden. Then, I went on to win numerous Super Bowls in a row. I'm probably the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Unless this movie is done up like a Disney sports movie, I don't see anyone showing up to see it. A movie about a video game just doesn't excite me as much as a brilliant screenplay like Rookie of the Year. Didn't the movie The Wizard bomb in 1989? That even had Fred Savage in it, and who didn't love Fred Savage in 1989???

Payton is shopping the script in Hollywood now, and why not? It’s not like he has a season to prepare for or anything. It's not like his team finished last in the division in 2008. Wait...nevermind.
Wow! That's two video game posts in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment