Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Draft Tip #2: Gonzalez May Block More

I know it is going to seem like I'm trying to pick on the Falcons with my "draft tips", but I'm really not. I promise I'll have others soon that involve information other than negative stuff about Atlanta players. Anyway, today's tip is about Tony Gonzalez.
Based on information coming out of Atlanta, it seems that he may be used more as a blocker than a receiving TE this year. "Tony will help our offense in a number of ways," offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey said at the close of June OTAs. "He's a productive blocker and that's important in our offense... As successful as he's been as a receiver, he's a good blocker too and he really doesn't get the credit that he should."
At 6-foot-5 and 251 pounds, Gonzalez has size to push people around, which could do more in the run game than any blocking along the line of scrimmage. As the Falcons seem to be very dedicated to their run game (Turner/Norwood), Gonzalez really may see less passes than he has in a while.

Glad to be out of Kansas City and now playing for a team that reached the playoffs last season, Gonzalez doesn't seem to mind that his personal statistics will likely decline in Atlanta. "Do I think I'll catch 100 balls? I don't have to," Gonzalez said. "This is something we're all going to work together on. I've been fortunate to have such a good career."
It is believed, however, that Tony will still see a healthy amount of balls off the field. When asked about the situation, QB Matt Ryan said, "I just hope he lets me catch once in a while."

No comments:

Post a Comment